<< return to Pixycam.com

All Data from PIXY2 SPI?

Hey Walt,

do you get a response? What’s not working? Any additional info can help us diagnose the issue.

Cheers,
Jesse

Where I am at right now;

I figure once I can get comm working between the PICAXE 28X2 and the PIXY2 the rest should be easy.

Sorry, I still need help understanding what’s wrong. What is the expected response from Pixy2, and what are you getting?

Hi,

All I got is zeros in the buffer … the camera never sends data back or I’m not communicating with the camera.

Hello,
Have you tried your camera with an Arduino to see if it’s functioning correctly?

Edward

Hi,

I don’t have Arduino.

I’m trying to determine if there might be an issue with your Pixy hardware. If you test your Pixy on an Arduino and everything is working, it might help you narrow down the problem.

Edward

Hi,

Give me a link to the basic Arduino tests.

Hey Walt, try the instructions here: https://docs.pixycam.com/wiki/doku.php?id=wiki:v2:hooking_up_pixy_to_a_microcontroller_-28like_an_arduino-29

Thanks,
Jesse

I’m not understanding how to fix this;

You need to delete these brackets: ][

I don’t understand what they’re doing there…

Hi,

I rebooted my PC, opened up the ccc_hello_world example, plugged in the Arduino UNO to the USB, the program passed the check, but when I did an download to the Arduino UNO I got this message;

Arduino: 1.8.12 (Windows 10), Board: “Arduino Uno”

Sketch uses 7494 bytes (23%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes.
Global variables use 508 bytes (24%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1540 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
An error occurred while uploading the sketch
avrdude: ser_open(): can’t open device “\.\COM14”: The system cannot find the file specified.

This report would have more information with
“Show verbose output during compilation”
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

So then I plugged in the PIXY2 USB and got this error;

Global variables use 508 bytes (24%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1540 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
avrdude: ser_open(): can’t open device “\.\COM14”: The system cannot find the file specified.

Problem uploading to board.
See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

Hey Walt,

please try changing your serial ports in the “Tools/Serial port” menu. Or, if you’ve got anything plugged into pins 0 or 1 on Arduino, unplug it until you’ve uploaded the sketch.

Cheers,
Jesse

Hi,

Nothing plugged into the Arduino UNO except the USB cable to the PC on COM5 …

Error Msgs;

An error occurred while uploading the sketch

Something is up with the serial port. When the IDE is trying to connect in order to upload the sketch to Arduino, it can’t find the port. Check your serial ports in the “Tools/Serial port” menu.

Hi,

I’d rather get back to the PICAXE and BASIC programming. The UNO does the “BLINK” program okay, so I’m sure it works okay with my PC, but I need the camera to work with my PICAXE chip.

Hey Walt, I don’t know what the “BLINK” program is. We’re trying to test and make sure Pixy is working normally with regard to sending data over serial. Since the Arduino is a known factor for us, it would help if you could try the “hello world” code we provide in the Pixy Arduino library and verify that everything is working correctly.

I understand that you are working with the PICAXE. Since we don’t offer direct support for that controller, we are doing our best to help out in whatever way we can.

Thanks,
Jesse

Hi,

I tried the LED “BLINK” program to be sure the Arduino UNO was working and it does work. But I cannot get the PIXY2 to work with the Arduino UNO. I did manage to get the software loaded, and made sure the com port speeds were as directed by the software.

OK, thanks. What’s not working with Pixy2 and Arduino? What are you trying?

Getting Pixy2 and Arduino working together is a good litmus test for other connections.

Thanks,
Jesse

Hi,

Okay, got back to the project and did it step by step taking print screens to show what’s going on;

I have the Arduino connected to USB to Windows 10
I have the PIXY2 connected bia the gray cable to the Arduino end connector … Red 1 towards Digital side RX <-0
I also have the PIXY2 connected via USB to Windows 10

First set of images is the PIXY2 camera settings;

Next is the PIXY2 wiki with the wrong file name for the libraries;

Next is showing the results at the 115,200 BAUD rate;

Next is setting both the PIXY2 and the Arduino to 9600 BAUD;

Pretty much I’m not getting any communications.

I do not know what to try next.