<< return to Pixycam.com

Building PixyMon

Hello Helmut,
I’m coming up blank, but maybe someone else has experienced this. It might be Qt version related. We’re all running with Qt 5.2 or approximately.

Out of curiosity, have you tried to debug the debug version from the Qt IDE? Being able to debug is probably the most useful thing you can do from the IDE.

The other question is what files are necessary to copy over in order to get it to run successfully. We know that the libusb dll is required (or it will crash with an uninformative error).

Sorry for the problems.

Edward

Hi Edward,
I also suspect that the QT version is the root cause for my problem. I have installed the latest but maybe not greatest:
QT 5.4.1 with MinGW 4.9.1 32bit and QT Creator 3.2.2
I have inspected the freezing PixyMon with Mark Russinovich’s Process Explorer. The QT dlls loaded all seem to be the correct ones. It looks like that it freezes as soon as it tries to render Pixy’s video frames. The first one is shown and then PixyMon hangs keeping one of my virtual CPUs 100% busy. Its not the missing libUsb. Copying it to the build dir was my very first fix attempt. Many thanks for your hint! BTW, if you start PixyMon from the Explorer you get a nice exception pop up telling you that libUSB is missing. Here the QT IDE doesn’t give any useful advice.
Maybe the problem is caused by my laptop’s HW setup. Dell has equipped it with a crackpot combination of Intel’s HD graphics and an AMD GPU I hardly ever use as it turns the computer into a noisy heating device. But its known for causing problems. Dells Intel HD drivers are quite old and if I install the latest Windows recommended version things get messed up: Closing panel => 100% load standby and freeze.

Which version of MinGW are you using in combination with your QT 5.2? I would like to try out the same combination.

I haven’t tried yet the debugger yet. Still coding, … and I am just delightet in using the QT IDE, it doesn’t only look much better than the Keil stuff. I’m sure that I will discard my think/printf debugging approach and will use gdb within the IDE as soon as I start testing.
cheers,
Helmut

Hi All,
yeah, I have got it building and running!
It was a bit of a mess to get there:

• With the MaintenanceTool.exe in the QT root folder I have additionally installed QT 5.2.1 (additional to the existing 5.4.1)
  • Started the QTCreator and selected in Tools->Options…->Build&Run->Kits the 5.2.1 as default
  • Clean/qmake/rebuild … and that damned thing still used the 5.4.1 QT stuff. Tried some other things to persuade QTCreator using the 5.2.1 kit, like closing and re-opening the project, nothing helped.
  • Thus restarted the MaintenanceTool.exe and kicked that 5.4.1 QT installation from the disk.
  • Restarted the QTCreator, … and voila, a project configuration dialog popped up asking me if I want to re-configure the project to use QT 5.2.1 from now on. Pressed the the “Certainly, thanks so much and get lost”-button, rebuilt PixyMon, started it, crashed, … copied the libUSB to the build folder, started it again … and it runs! HappyHappyJoyJoy!
  • I don’t know if it’s possible to get into that re-configure dialog manually. I haven’t found it. However, I don’t care as it runs now.

cheers,
Helmut

1 Like

Hi Helmut,

thanks for the advice. Exactly like you, I got rid of the 5.4.1 Qt version (I erased it directly from my computer) and I downloaded the 5.2.1 version with the mingw4.8. It is also working for me so thank you very much for the help, you saved me a lot of headaches.

Viele Grüße

Robert

Hi Helmut,
Thank you for the heads up! I think we need to do some investigating into Qt 5.4 to see what’s going wrong. There were lots of problems going from Qt 4.8 to 5.0, but we didn’t expect any problems going from 5.2 to 5.4.
My Mingw is mingw48_32, but not sure if that’s the version or not.

Edward

Ubuntu 16.04.1
Qt 5.7.1

Same problem here “QFSFileEngine::open: No file name specified”

Seriously have NO idea what’s wrong so far…

Hello Pei,
That message is more of a warning and is likely not to cause any real harm. Are you committed to Qt 5.7? Have you tried Qt 5.2 or 4.8?

Edward

build PixyMon for Windows, you need to first install the Qt development environment. Probably the easiest way to get there is to install …
I’ve been trying to build clicker counter PixyMon from source but it seems like some source files are missing. I was able to find a version of libusb that … this directory contains scripts for building pixy software modules. /src/device - this directory contains code (firmware) that runs on the Pixy ( .