<< return to Pixycam.com

Arduino IO cable question

I was wondering if the Arduino IO cable only sent 5v from where it plugs into Arduino or will it send whatever voltage is plugged into the Arduino. I am currently using 9v to power my project and I would hate to plug in the Arduino IO cable and fry Pixy. Thank you very much for the help, I am loving this camera!!!

Hi Jim,

Glad to hear that you’re enjoying Pixy!

The Arduino cable that ships with Pixy will transmit whatever voltage that Arduino gives it. With that being said, Arduino’s voltage regulator will curb the power input to at most 5V (although you should see your board’s docs to verify this, some board types could be different). This comes from the “Uno”:http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardUno page:

The board can operate on an external supply of 6 to 20 volts. If supplied with less than 7V, however, the 5V pin may supply less than five volts and the board may be unstable. If using more than 12V, the voltage regulator may overheat and damage the board. The recommended range is 7 to 12 volts.

This seems to be the case for all Arduino boards, but you should still verify this.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Scott

Thanks Scott much appreciated!!!

Hi,
I used this setup and pixy no longer talks to my arduino. The led doesn’t even get brighter when it detects a signature. I don’t know what to do now.

Hi Charles,

Can you explain to me the details of your setup?

Scott