<< return to Pixycam.com

Assembling pan/tilt Mechanism

Found an issue with the assemble instructions.
I believe the two-threaded brackets should be mounted to the PIXY and the one-threaded brackets attached to the PT assembly.

In step 14 you show the assembler with the head of the screw on the outside, if the bushing is on the inside there is nothing for the screws to grab. This is preferred for the assembler but the screw threads coming up from the PT assembly does get in the way just a little.
Step 15 shows the head of the screw on the inside.This would be consistent with the bushing on the inside but is a little harder to get the screw driver horizontal enough to screw from the inside.

Not sure which is better, just pointing out the discrepancy.

-Arbies

I like the way the picture depicts the Pan servo leads sandwiched between the Pan and tilt servos. I did have to loosen the pan servo screws to get the wire in to place then tightened after the wire was in.

-Arbies

Thanks for pointing this out, Arbies! I’ll pass this along to Rich, who created the assembly instructions.

Scott

Hey Arbies,
The longer 4-40 fasteners that form the axis for the tilt axis work better when attached from the outside. When you do this, the fasteners engage with the 2-threaded brackets on the outside (not the one-threaded brackets attached to Pixy). This may be counter-intuitive, but it captures Pixy and has the advantage that you can’t over-tighten.

On the other hand, if you attach them from the inside (which is how we originally thought) you can overtighten and create binding. This works also though… Some of the assembly pictures need to be updated in later steps to reflect the outside approach.

Sorry for the confusion!

I have to agree that the existing approach, which seemed almost wrong, is a great way to attach, it provides a reliable hinge with cheap hardware, and cannot bind, or be overtightened by a reasonable intelligent person.

That’s what I thought too! (It wasn’t my idea, it was Ted Macy’s from Robot magazine.)