<< return to Pixycam.com

Batteries - Arduino

Hi, I wanted to know, before I make the attempt :
I was wondering if anyone knew if it would be ok to hookup a 6AA battery holder with 6 alkaline AA’s to the unregulated 6v of pixy to power it and the servos. I would then run the arduino cable from pixy to the arduino for power and from there to a little protoboard with a simple circuit which runs normally with a 9V battery and 250 MA ( suitable voltage 7,2, but I use 9 for easier ). I just wanted to make sure this won’t blow up pixy or something. I’m building an autonomous robot and can’t have a USB cable or ac adapter involved. Thank you very much for the help

Hi Maria,

yes, this should work fine. 6 x 1.5V = 9V, and Pixy’s unregulated input can handle up to 10V. Pixy can source, or provide, enough current to run Arduino and servos, or Arduino and your circuit.

I’m assuming you’ve seen our wiki page on powering Pixy - if not, it’s worth checking out: http://cmucam.org/projects/cmucam5/wiki/Powering_Pixy

Hi Jesse,
mmm I am still trying… it is not working, I must be doing something wrong. I can t find a 6 x 1,5 V batterie holder… and I need to put 8 X 1,5 V batteries in the one I have, and I will probably damage the Pixy, as is more than 10 V…

Maybe it would be easier to buy a Lipo rechargeable batterie? Could you recommend me one to buy it?

By now, maybe I can connect a little circuit with a 9 V battery to Arduino and then Arduino to Pixy?

Thank you very much for your help!
María

Hi Maria,

sorry it’s not working. Can you be more descriptive? What are you doing, and what happens?

Did you read the link I posted above? If you’re running anything besides Pixy with Arduino (like servos and your circuit), you need to power Pixy, and let everything else draw power from Pixy. Otherwise (if you hook up power to Arduino, and power Pixy from Arduino), the servos will not get enough current.

You should be able to use a 9V battery just fine. The link on Powering Pixy has info on the connector you need to plug into Pixy’s power jack.

A LiPo battery will also work, you just need one between 6 and 10 V, sized (in mAH) according to your project needs. For reference, Pixy draws about 140mA at 5V, typically.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Jesse

Hi Jesse I’ve read it yes,I guess I should give it a second try… I will come back to it and try again in few weeks! Thanks :slight_smile: