<< return to Pixycam.com

Can I detect if there is an object on another?

Hey I’m doing a project at school : it’s an automated waiter for fast food. It mooves on the ceiling and I want it to know, before dropping the tray if there is something on the table. We want to put a red area on the table and then ask pixy if there is something on it.
Do you guys think that that’s possible?
Thx for your answers, Butanium

Hey Butanium,

just to confirm - if there was something there, it would look like a red square that’s partially obscured by some object on top of it. Correct?

In this case, Pixy wouldn’t be able to tell you that there’s another object there - it doesn’t report smaller objects inside of larger ones.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Jesse

Hey thx for your answer !
Can I make Pixy identify the red square as an object only if there is nothing on it?
If there were some kind of “tolerance” param it would solve my problem I think ^^
Sorry for responding so late ^^’

If you teach Pixy the color red, it will return the area and x-y coordinates of any red objects it detects. So, if the red square looks more like a hollow rectangle - like this:

---------------------
|       red         |
|      -------      |
|      | xxxx |     |
|      | xxxx |     |
|      -------      |
|    red            |
|                   |
---------------------

Then Pixy should still see the red rectangle and report it as a color signature.

However, if the center of the rectangle (the xxxx part in the drawing above) is another color signature that you’ve taught Pixy, then you might not be able to detect the red square. Make sense?

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Jesse

So Pixy only deal with color not with shape?

that’s correct :slight_smile:

Edward

Hmmm ok. That will be way more complicated than that I expected. Thx for your answers ! I’ll try my best ^^

1 Like