<< return to Pixycam.com

Custom Pan/Tilt with Standard Servos - How does the output of the Pixy affect the Arduino's output?

Hello,

I have constructed a custom pan/tilt mechanism, but am using standard servos rather than the micro servos supplied. The ICSP pin connectors (I assume this is what they are) on the back of the Pixy supply the required amperage of 4.8-6.0v which allegedly satisfies the requirements of both servos.

I just thought that the larger servos might (although they state that they supply the same amperage), would overpower the pixy. Is this alright?

This then brings up the question of what is the impact of the connection of the Pixy to the arduino? Do the Pixy’s ICSP connections add to the power output of the Arduino? Or do they drain the power from the Arduino? Also, what is the role of the I2C? Is this just for communication and no power transfer? I assume that the connection of the Pixy to the arduino adds to the power of the arduino since the pixy is drawing power via USB. Nevertheless, I wish to attach two more servos to the Arduino, but I don’t know if I should use a shield or not.

I hope this is comprehensible.

Thank you in advance,
Erik

Hello Eric,
In general, Pixy has enough current for 1.0A of current for the servos. If the servos you are using draw more current than 1.0A, it may cause issues.

Regarding the power, there is information here:

http://cmucam.org/projects/cmucam5/wiki/Powering_Pixy

Hope this helps.

Edward

Perfect thanks so much.
Very helpful,

Erik