<< return to Pixycam.com

Displaying raw video from pixy

Hello guys,

I got my pixy and was wondering is it possible to grab the raw video from pixy and display it. My application of interest is on robotics with 6 servo, so connecting it to a PC is a must. My OS platform is Windows 8.1 and my programming platform is python. Any help is appreciated.

Hello Sivadev,
PixyMon displays raw video. Do you want to save the raw video? There is no method to save video currently, but you can grab individual frames.

http://cmucam.org/projects/cmucam5/wiki/How_to_Grab_a_Frame

Edward

Hello Edward,

Thanks for the info, I have actually tested PixyMon and know that you can record / grab a frame using it, but my goal is to process real-time video from the camera using edge detection, camshift and other image processing techniques (which I cannot do it on PixyMon). So is there anyway to capture the camera’s raw real-time video?

Hello Sivadev,
There is no way to capture video in PixyMon currently. Do you just want to save all of the images, or are you interested in encoding video, like MPEG? What do you plan to use to process the video? We’re always interested in hearing what tools our users are using.

Edward

Hello Edward,

Thanks for the prompt reply. My area of interest is in robotic - image processing. PixyMon is cool and does basic color segmentation. I want to extract the raw video in real-time and do processing such as face detection (for emotion research), path planing and obstacle avoidance.

If cannot extract the realtime video from PixyMon, is there any other way to display the real-time video without PixyMon, because once I can display the real-time video, i can process it to my requirement. Thanks

Hello Sivadev,
You can use libpixyusb and grab raw frames using the cam_getFrame function. There are a few people on the forum who have grabbed raw frames in this way. For example:

Hope this helps!

Edward