<< return to Pixycam.com

Does the Pixy support reflective surfaces?

Hello,
I was wondering if the Pixy will detect a reflective surface such as the silver retroreflective tape linked below that is used in FIRST robotics competitions?
Thanks,
icecats

Reflective Tape:
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/ScotchliteNA/Scotchlite/Products/~/8830-Silver-Helmet-Marking-Film?N=4621+3293827304&rt=rud

Hello,
If you used a colored light source, Pixy would be able to detect the reflectors. (that would be my first suggestion)

Hope this helps!

Edward

Hmmm… I don’t think that focused light is legal in FTC. Does the silver reflective color not register with the Pixy?
Thanks,
icecats

Pixy uses color cues to identify objects. Light intensity (light or dark) is a weak cue in general and Pixy doesn’t use light intensity to identify objects. However, if the light intensity is substantially large such that it can be used reliably pick and object out of the environment, light intensity can be useful. The IR-lock folks (irlock.com) do this. They have modified the Pixy firmware to do this. It’s available from them if you want to give it a try.

I thought the reflectors that US FIRST use were intended to be illuminated by the robot with a light source so it can find the markers more easily. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Edward

Thanks for the feedback. I will keep your suggestions in mind.

I thought the reflectors that US FIRST use were intended to be illuminated by the robot with a light source so it can find the markers more easily
This is only true for FRC; I participate in FTC, a scaled down version of FRC. Thanks for your help!