<< return to Pixycam.com

How far can Pixy2 recognize the object?

Hi guy! I’m a student who participates a project which makes security drone at harbor.

Our members are looking for some good sensors or cameras for project and we think Pixy2 is a good for us!.

Anyway, Before we choose this, we have a question!

Our drone will take pictures vertically down from 70 to 150 meters. Is it possible that Pixy2 can recognize a person who is standing on the ground at high altitude?

I’m sorry about my poor english skill. Have a good day :slight_smile: !

Hi, unfortunately this is not possible. Pixy2 recognizes objects based on color. It doesn’t detect people, or patterns. So the person would need to be wearing, for example, a bright orange hat.

Also, the detection range depends on the size of the object, and the maximum detection distance is equivalent to a 200mm object at 15 meters. So I don’t think a person’s head will be large enough at 70 to 150 meters.

Hi i have a question as well. I need to recognize targets that are 500mm x 500mm at a 50m height, will the pixy2 be able to take those shots, from that far??

Hello,
I don’t think at 50m away it will be able to detect an object that’s 500x500mm with the standard wide-angle lens. With a longer lens, it would be able to, however. Unfortunately, we don’t sell longer lenses.

Edward

Hi I have a question. I need to recognize targets (color detection) that are 5000mm x 5000mm at a 40-70m height, will the pixy2 be able to take those shots, from that far??

Hello,
Pixy can recognize objects as small as 5x5 pixels. The size of the object in the image depends on its physical size and the distance from the lens. It sounds like Pixy would likely be able to the object based on the size/distance you provided.

Edward