<< return to Pixycam.com

Max Range before low quality?

Hello, I’ve been tasked with a project by my school to create a contraption that can record the football games. The idea was to have 1 camera at each end of the endzone, I decided after searching for a bit that some kind of camera like this would be the best to use because I believe it would be easy to interface with. I have some questions before I start pouring money into this project however,

A. How easy is it to record the video output from the cameras?

B. What’s the maximum range of the camera before the footage’s quality becomes unclear?

Hi Tristan,

A) Sorry, but we don’t natively support recording raw video from Pixy. It is meant to detect objects and report their position and sizes. If you really want, you can modify Pixymon or use libpixyusb to record image captures. If all you want is to record video, then Pixy is not for you.

B) That all depends on the size of your objects, lighting, your set resolution etc. If you’re talking about for football then you could probably use it from a few hundred feet, but it wouldn’t be clear enough to see the players numbers. I need more info if you want a more concrete answer.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions!

Scott

A few hundred feet? That sounds far beyond what I was expecting it to be able to “see”. I choose this camera because of it’s easy ability to be interfaced with. I really think that this camera with the pan/tilt module would work great for my purposes. I was planning on having the cameras controlled via laptop.

Hi Tristan,

I hope it works out for you. Let us know if there is anything else we can help with.

Scott