<< return to Pixycam.com

Number of objects for Pixy

Hi devs!

I was wondering what if there are two orange objects that I registered for Pixy? Can it determine the difference? For example the first one is an orange wallet and the second one is an orange ball, can it determine the difference in shape?

Also, there are only 14 color signatures for Pixy - does this mean that I can only register 14 objects to it? If so, is there any way where I can register more than 14 objects? Sorry for these questions, I am quite confused. Thanks in advance.

Pixy only identifies color. So the shades of orange would need to be different. You can tune Pixy’s color recognition in settings.

If the limit on signatures is related to available space in firmware there may be nothing that can be done. It may be possible, however, to hack the firmware to create more, but I do not know how to do this. Engineers, can you help?

Hi Aliah,

Pixy can detect multiple objects per signature - so if you teach it the wallet, and the ball is similar enough in color, it will detect both and spit out data for both.

I’m not sure where you’re getting 14 color signatures from - Pixy can learn 7 unique color signatures, and it can detect multiple objects per signature. So, the effective number of objects that Pixy can detect is several hundred at least.

Hope this helps!
Jesse

There are 7 color signatures that can either be used as “regular” or “color code”.

For example, you could choose to make all signatures “regular” signatures and you’d be able to detect objects that match the colors of the 7 signatures.

Or you could, for example, make the 7 color signatures “color code” signatures and you’d be able to detect 100s of thousands of color codes that match 2 or more the signatures.

Or you can do any combination of “regular” and “color code” signatures — 3 color coded signatures and 4 regular for example. There are always 7 color signatures though.

Hope this helps!

Edward