<< return to Pixycam.com

Pan/Tilt Servo Issue

Hello,

I seem to be running into an issue with one of my servos on the Pan/Tilt kit and wonder if the one servo might be defective. After assembling the kit and connecting Pixy to my laptop the servos go to their zero position as they are meant to however one servo is silent and the other continuously buzzes.

The pan is plugged in on the left, the tilt on the right, and the yellow signal wire is at the top for both connectors. I tried switching the position of the connectors (pan on right, tilt on left) just to see the result and the same servo continues to buzz regardless of which side it is plugged into. I confirmed the servos are both receiving +5V from the header so it doesn’t seem to be a power issue.

I also tried changing the servo frequency in PixyMon for kicks and the buzz for that specific servo simply gets faster or slower depending on whether I raise or lower the frequency (as expected).

I also disassembled and reassembled the kit to make sure it was not a binding issue however the servo still buzzes under no load when it is removed from the assembly.

Could this be a problem with the servo itself or could there be another problem at hand?

I appreciate any help I can get!

Thank you,
-Andre

Hello Andre,
A certain amount of buzzing is fairly common. It sounds like you are saying that one of your servos is really buzzing, but it otherwise appears to move/function?

Edward

Hello,

I am working on my final robotics project for school. I decided to get involved with this cam but ever since I got it, assembled it and run the pan/tilt demo, both servos have not worked properly. After assembling the kit and connecting Pixy to my laptop the servos go to their zero position as they are meant to however when moving to the opposite side (facing downward and to the left) both servos get stuck and wont move (not to mention the continuous buzzing) unless I force them. I already broke one of the servos trying to maneuver it in the opposite direction

The pan is plugged in on the left, the tilt on the right, and the yellow signal wire is at the top for both connectors. I tried switching the position of the connectors (pan on right, tilt on left) just to see the result and the same servo continues to get stuck regardless of which side it is plugged into.

I also tried changing the servo frequency in PixyMon for kicks and the problem still persist.

I also disassembled and reassembled the kit to make sure it was not a binding issue however both servos still get stuck.

Could this be a problem with the servos or could there be another problem at hand?

I appreciate any help I can get!

Thank you,

(BTW I am running the Pixymon version 2.0.9 in a windows 10 x64)

Hello Julie,
Sorry for the problems!

Please check out our debugging guide for the pan/tilt here:

http://cmucam.org/projects/cmucam5/wiki/My_pantilt_is_acting_sort_of_crazy

Let me know if you find anything.

Edward