<< return to Pixycam.com

Pixy 2.1 LED stays on Red or Green when powered by L298N

Hi I’m trying to use the Pixy 2.1 camera in a uni project. Here I want to power my Arduino Uno R3 using the L298 motor driver and connect the Pixy 2.1 camera to the Arduino. However as you can see from the pictures attached, when I connect the Vin of the Arduino to the 5V rail of the motor driver, the LED of the Pixy 2.1 camera stays red. Then when I tried connecting the Vin of the Arduino to the 12V rail of the motor driver, the LED of the Pixy 2.1 camera stays green. In both cases I have used a 12V supply to the motor driver. According to my understanding, when correctly connected the Pixy 2.1 camera LED should display the colour of the detected object, this happens when I connect the Arduino directly from my laptop (without the L298). Can someone please tell me why the LED stays red/green when powered by the L298.

![normal|375x500]

Hello,
I’m not understanding how you are powering things. It sounds like you have a 12V supply that’s powering the L298. What is powering Pixy? You should not power Pixy with 12V. This page has some good information on powering Pixy:

https://docs.pixycam.com/wiki/doku.php?id=wiki:v2:powering_pixy

Note that if the Arduino is powering Pixy, it may not be able to source enough current.

Edward