<< return to Pixycam.com

Pixy 2 for Scanning Flowers

Hello! So we have a project and we are planning to use pixy 2 camera to detect flowers so that we could pollinate them. We would like the camera to first scan a plant and detect all flowers and log how many flowers were scanned(this is so that we can keep track if all the flowers will be pollinated). The individual flowers that were scanned will be pollinated one by one. Will it be possible? If so, could the pixy recognize each flower so that it will not be pollinated again?

ps. flower color is a bright yellow color in case this info is needed.

We highly appreciate any form of help that you’ll give.

Not an expert in anyway, just active in here lately cause im tackling another issue

out of the box this would be tricky once you had to detect multiple variants. The color detection works pretty well for solid objects but can get undesired results when a complex object shows up. Also the color options will be come limited fast since pixy detects on a set number of colors, if you use an orange or yellow signature you’lle see it shows up in many many places. Of course you can tweak the camera settings to reduce some of the noise depending on the enviornment. The number of flowers you want to detect will tell you of the limitations of the ‘out of the box software’.

Ultimately though you’re probably gonna want to use ML on the pixy’s frame picture, im doing something like this right now. There are quite a few flower detection ML options out there (i think google has some free ones) and I think that might be the path of least resistance. Once you’re able to detect a flower from a bitmap using ML, now doing that with the pixy frame is all the glue you would need.

1 Like

Hello Jenn,
Detecting flowers with Pixy2 could be possible, especially since flowers tend to have saturated colors. For purposes of pollination though, I’d think that that’s a more difficult problem where you need to identify the different parts of the flower. Like Lee_N suggests, something more sophisticated might be necessary, although I’m not sure what the best approach would be. :thinking:

Edward

1 Like

Thank you very much for your response @Lee_N and @edge.
The pollination process that we are trying to implement is self-pollination which is just shaking the flower (specifically tomato flowers) gently. Ideally, it should be shaken in the sepal part (upper stem of the flower) but it also does the job if it is shaken in other parts of the flower. Could this be more possible to do without using ML? I am actually not familiar with that right now.

Hello Jenn,
I don’t know if it’s possible, but I think sometimes you just need to give things a try :slight_smile:

Edward

1 Like

Thanks @edge, I’ll try to update you if it did work. May be I might help or encourage others too. I appreciate all of your help ang also @Lee_N. :slight_smile:

Hi Jenn,
Sure thing – let us know how it goes! :slight_smile:

1 Like