<< return to Pixycam.com

Pixy Detected - Error Unable To Connect

Hi,

I’m new to the forum and unfortunately, my first post is about a problem. I just received my Pixy Cam in the mail today and I was really excited to get it up and running. I set everything up and ran my NXT program. Everything seemed to working OK. I moved into an area with better lighting so I tried using the button to set my color signature. After doing that a few times all of a sudden my Pixy Cam just stopped working. The LED at the bottom didn’t light up any more when I placed the object in front of the Pixy Cam. It was just barely lite as white. I tried pressing the button again and nothing happened.

I removed my Pixy Cam from my NXT, opened PixyMon, and connected it to my PC. I just kept getting the following message - Pixy Detected Error Unable To Connect. I went to the wiki and followed the instructions for installing the latest firmware and that went fine, but I still kept getting the same message. I checked the device manager and my Pixy Cam was listed. Windows made the usual sound that it makes when ever you plug something into your pc.

I checked the forum and found a similar post by Yao Li from 4 months ago. The problem seemed to be the same and Jessie French responded to the post. It was assumed that Yao Li’s Pixy Cam was defective and you issued a return.

I just don’t why mine should have gone bad like that.

Here is all of the information I think you need. If anything is missing please let me know:

Purchased from: Mindsensors.com

Connected to my NXT by their “Pixy Adapter”

NXT firmware: 1.31

Pixy Cam firmware: 2.0.19-general.hex

PixyMon version: 2.0.9

Windows 8.1Pro 64bit

Microsoft Surface 2 Pro Tablet PC

As I said everything worked great when I first connected my Pixy Cam to PixyMon and set up my color signature. The program seemed to work fine on my NXT too. Then it had a few times when there just wasn’t any data. My Pixy Cam seemd to see my object - the LED changed colors, there just wasn’t any data on the NXT display. Could using the PIxy Adapter from Mindsensors.com have caused this problem?

I really hope you can help me because this is so disappointing. I didn’t know whether to contact you or Mindsensors.com about the problem. If I need to contact them instead, please let me know.

Thank you,

Allen Mosley

Hello Allen,
I should mention that the mindsensors adapter is something that we didn’t design/manufacture.

But testing Pixy by using PixyMon sounds like a good way to verify if your Pixy is working or not. Please run through this troubleshooting guide:

http://cmucam.org/projects/cmucam5/wiki/I_get_the_message_"No_Pixy_devices_have_been_detected"_in_PixyMon

In particular, do you have another USB cable you can try? Let me know what you find.

Edward