<< return to Pixycam.com

Pixy not detected. Is she dead?

Hi,

I’m a Kickstarter backer for Pixy. After a while, I decided to put it to use, but to no avail. BTW, I’ve read all the trouble shooting posts and tried almost everything stated.

For the start up, nothing connected, no servo, no data cable, nothing. I found the shortest USB cable I can (20-25 cm).

When I connect my Pixy via a USB, a BRIGHT WHITE LED illuminates and then total silence. When I disconnect the USB cable a SHORT WEAK RED LED shows up.

On the PC side, I see Pixy in the device manager without any problem. But, when I try to run PixyMon, it cylces through the vicious circle;

Pixy detected.
error: Unable to connect to device.
Pixy detected.
Pixy detected.

Tried to power it up with external power source with resulting no difference.

Any (miraculous) suggestion would be welcome?

Hi, sorry you’re having trouble! Just to clarify, does the white LED turn off, or does it stay illuminated the whole time Pixy is connected to power?

Are you able to try connecting with a different computer just to confirm it’s not a driver conflict?

Thanks,
Jesse

Hi again,

The white light just flashes once at startup and stays turned off afterwards. And just a flicker of weak red light when I pull the cable out.

I’ve tried 3 different computers including USB3 and USB2 ports with different cables from multiple manufacturers, no luck :frowning:

If it helps, it still draws 150 mAh when it’s plugged and the main cpu gets a little warm (a sign of life, hopefully).

Hmm. Typically the failure mode we see is the white light staying on when plugged into power…but it might be defective hardware regardless. One more check, what happens when you hold down the white button and then plug into USB? Aka firmware update mode.

Hi, thank you for your time.

I hope, I have made some progress.

When I hold down the white button and connect to the PC, it opens the firmware update mode/page, and succesfully updated to the 2.0.19 firmware.

But, nothing changed afterwards. Replugged it to the PC, and it went to the infamous loop of “Pixy detected.” -> “error: Unable to connect to device.”

Hmm. I might be wrong, but it doesn’t sound like anything is wrong with your Pixy.

Have you checked your USB controller to see if it’s a Renesas or Fresco Logic brand?

If it is, you may need to update the driver (you need version 2.1.16.0 or later or Pixy won’t work!) You can download a recent version here for Renesas: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=19880

Or here for Fresco Logic: http://www.driverscape.com/download/fresco-logic-xhci-(usb3)-controller

!http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i241/cmucam/Image001_zps904633ef.jpg!

On my notebook, yes there was Renesas Controller. Updated to 2.1.39.0 version.

But, still the same problem on Pixymon : “Pixy detected.” -> “error: Unable to connect to device.”

With all due respect, if the (only) issue had been with the computer side, it should have been working fine with direct powering (without USB cable) and on Arduino, right?

But, It just do the same thing when I power it with Molex power input. I mean the short white led flash and off, afterwards.

Yes, if it’s just a computer issue, Pixy should work with Arduino directly. You hadn’t mentioned Arduino prior to this, though, and I’ve just been going by the information you’ve given me, trying to ascertain where the issue is.

It sounds like your Pixy has a hardware issue. We do have a 90-day warranty for replacement, but since you’re a Kickstarter backer I think we can make an exception. I’ll send you an email directly.