<< return to Pixycam.com

Pixy via cable

The CMUcam5 looks very impressive and I can’t wait to try it…

My question is: for applications where the current board-camera configuration of the CMUcam5 might be too big or just wont fit having the camera placed directly on the board (and POV perpendicular to the board)
Is there a way to connect the Pixy camera to the board via cable? Another words separate the lens and viewing apparatus/sensor (i.e external camera) from the board?

Has anyone tried it or have a suggested solution?

Hi Haggai,

I answered a similar question “here”:http://cmucam.org/boards/8/topics/4045.

I’m not an expert here, but I question whether the high-frequency signal would degrade too much across the wires or pick up too much noise. I’m sure this is possible, but it would take quite a bit of work to redesign the board and ensure you get the same quality.

Scott

HI Scott,

Thanks for you reply! Ok. I understand.

On a different topic: The Pixy I bought several weeks ago is not detected by Pixymon or USB (on Mac OS X). Tried various cables and configurations and I get no response. I saw that other people had the same problem and eventually went for replacement. Is there a solution I can try first? If not, how can we have it replaced?

Thanks,

Haggai

Turns out it was the cable. Works as long as I connect the USB directly. Powering through the Arduino does not allow for Pixymon. I supposed it wasn’t really intended to?

Yes, you need to have Pixy connected directly to your computer via USB in order to use Pixymon. Glad you resolved the issue!

Scott