<< return to Pixycam.com

Pixy2 does not return data to EV3

Hello, my Pixy2 for some unknown reason stopped working with EV3. When I try to receive any data the output values may be zeros on every byte or just the mirrored ones i send.

The LED on the Pixy2 and the Pixymon app are working just fine with the camera. I tried to connect it with different cables and checked the data out port in the app and the result is the same. I am using the self-made cables. I have also noticed that when I am trying to fix this problem my camera does not heat, how it was before.

I have my WRO national competition in just 2 days so I would really like to receive your answer on this topic ASAP.

Hello,
So you are able to connect to your Pixy over Pixymon and it works fine? It sounds like the cable might be faulty. Have you checked it with an ohmmeter?

Edward

Hello. Yes the cable works just fine with one pixycam, but not the second one. I can receive data if I connect the pixycam to arduino and I see the camera output in pixymon.

Hello,
Here’s what I understand –
You have 2 Pixy2’s. The 1st one works fine with PixyMon, but the 2nd one doesn’t work with PixyMon or Arduino, and it doesn’t appear to be a cable issue. Neither of them appear to work with EV3, which is your primary goal. Is all this correct?

Edward

No, I am sorry my post was so unclear to you. I have 2 pixy2s, both work fine with pixymon and arduino, but one of them works with ev3 and the other one doesn’t. I tried to connect it with uart and i2c, both ways aren’t working

Hello,
I would guess that the I2C on one of the Pixys is somehow broken or defective. All I/Os on Pixy are protected against electrostatic discharge, but sustained exposure to voltages below 0V or above 6V will damage the I/O. Perhaps when making your own cable, you switched some signals?

Edward

Hello, the ev3 doesn’t give out voltage higher than 4.3V, so there shouldn’t be any problem with voltage above 6V. We also tried to connect pixycam with each wire separately and tried to connect using the cable which worked with another pixycam.

Hello,
If you reverse the voltage however, it’s possible to get below 0V unfortunately.

Edward