<< return to Pixycam.com

Pixy2 Pan/Tilt doesn't work on my Raspberry Pi

I have a Raspberry Pi 3B+ and am trying to connect the Pixy2 to it via USB. I have successfully installed the drivers and PixyMon2 on the Pi, and PixyMon2 detects it successfully.

The problem I am having is that if I connect the pan/tilt wires to the camera, then the camera doesn’t work on my Pi at all. It just shakes back and forth every half-second. My other devices (a USB mouse and a keyboard) suddenly stop working when it’s plugged in. I can see the light on my mouse flicker on and off in sync with the shaking camera; it seems as if it’s trying to turn on but cannot. The same occurs with the mouse and keyboard unplugged; the Pixy2 just shakes. All I have to do to get the Pixy2 to work on my Pi is to disconnect the pan/tilt wires from the camera. But then, of course, I won’t be able to use pan/tilt with my Pi.

The pan/tilt works perfectly fine when I connect the Pixy2 to my desktop computer. My conclusion is that my Raspberry Pi doesn’t have enough power to support the Pixy2 and pan/tilt at the same time. But I am not 100% certain. I was wondering if I could receive some assistance on this matter. Is there a possible remedy to this?

Hello,
It definitely sounds like a power issue. How are you powering your Pi? What is the current capacity of your power supply?

Edward

The Pi is powered through the 2.5A adapter that was provided. I did research, and the raspberry pi 3b+ supports a total of 1.2A through the USB ports, making 300mA per USB port. I don’t know of the safest way to get around that without accidentally frying one of the devices. I know that there are two voltage pins behind the pixy2 along with the other pins. Do you have any ideas of how I can safely provide more current to the pixy2 and it’s pan/tilt mechanism while still connecting it via USB?

Hmm, I would think that would be enough current. Are you using the USB cable that came with your Pixy2? Not all USB cables have the current carrying capacity that’s required, but the USB cable that came with your Pixy2 will work.

You can also test the 5V voltage at the I/O connector with a voltmeter (Pin 6 and 2). It should be at least 4.8V.

https://docs.pixycam.com/wiki/doku.php?id=wiki:v2:powering_pixy

Powering Pixy2 through the I/O connector via Pin 2 or Pin 10 (unregulated) will provide supplemental current if needed. Powering Pixy2 through Pin 2 or Pin 10 is allowed while Pixy2 is plugged into a USB port.

Let me know what you find.

Edward

Hello…the limitation here I think is the Adafruit powerboost charger as it can only supply 1A. That might be enough for the Pi alone but those servos coud take 650mA each. I would suggest something capable of 3A @5V. The simplest option for a beginner is probably one of those USB power banks - they are cheap and provide the correct voltage so you can plug straight in.

pcb turnkey

1 Like