<< return to Pixycam.com

Pixycam and OpenCV

Hello,

I am currently using PixyCam for pedestrian dection. Pedestrian detection is executed by OpenCV function cv2.VideoCapture(0) and here is a problem, on normal PC this command runs smoothly, the system camera opens and video is captured. I would like to implement something like that in my project: 1. capture the live stream from pixycam, like if it was pixymon output
2. put this output into cv2.VideoCapture(Pixycam data here)
3. and let opencv do the rest
however i cant figure out how to capture such data :confused: I have tried placing all /dev/videosNUMBER directories or even /dev/bus/usb/001/NUMBER directories but unfortunately without succes.

Thank you in advance,
Artur

Hi Artur,

this isn’t possible with Pixy unfortunately. The camera is specifically designed to avoid sending the video externally for processing - the object tracking and other algorithms all happen onboard. You would likely get better results with a simple webcam.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Jesse

1 Like

Hi Jesse,

thank you for your feedback and such quick response :smiley: Pity, this device looks preety damn cool :confused:

Best wishes,
Artur

Sure thing! Thanks for the kind words :slight_smile:

If you wanted to use Pixy for tracking colored objects, or lines, then you could certainly pair it with another camera to use for pedestrian detection…depends on the needs of your project! Or, find a project to use Pixy for :smiley:

Let me know if you need anything else!

Cheers,
Jesse

1 Like