<< return to Pixycam.com

Questions about cMUcam5

Hello and congratulation for your wonderfull new cam!
I’ve some questions about it.

1. What are the better condition of light to work with the cam? I work in a dark room, I can use led light (blue, red and green), but if I will not use led, with low light, how the cam will work?
  2. Reading the wiki I’ve seen the cam is also a range sensor but I don’t understand exactly how it works. This function can be used in a dark room?
    Thanks!

Hi Piero,
Pixy’s image sensor has an “extended exposure mode” where it can see well in very little light. Nothing is free though— in this mode the framerate can go down to as low as 10 frames per second. I’m not sure if this answers #1.

We mentioned in the wiki that you could alternatively flash the bright LED on and off and take the difference in frames to estimate distance. Regions with a large difference in light intensity would be closer (because they would be illuminated the greatest by the LED). As a range sensor it wouldn’t be a very good one, but we thought it was an interesting idea— might give someone some ideas.

thanks,
–rich

Thanks for the response!

In the future, CMUcam5 will be able to recognize human? Whit face recognition and to track a body, like a Kinect (+ or -)?
Thanks!

Hi Piero,

In case you were still wondering about the facial recognition, please see the “FAQ on the Kickstarter”:http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/254449872/pixy-cmucam5-a-fast-easy-to-use-vision-sensor#faq page. I don’t think this will include any body tracking, although that’s not to say someone won’t implement it in the future.

Scott