<< return to Pixycam.com

Streaming Digital Video from Pixy

I’ve been looking for a camera for my fpga-based robot and the CMUcam5 looks perfect!

I understand it does all the tracking for you, but is it possible to stream the digital video directly off it and do other kinds of processing off-board?

With a (10Mhz?) sPI interface, the framerate probably won’t be good enough for real time, but maybe a small square in the center the sensor could be streamed close to real time.

Any suggestions?

Hi Ben,

We’re currently working on a more fully-featured API for Pixy, but it currently does not support this functionality. Hopefully we should have more of these features out soon.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks!

Scott

Thanks! Just thinking out loud here, but since the camera streams video via usb to a pc (hid interface I assume), then an embedded platform that can act as a usb host could conceivably receive the video too, no? Similar to plugging a usb webcam into an android tablet.

Also, it looks like most people are using the CMUCam5 with an Arduino… but there shouldn’t be any problem setting the tracking objects and retrieving the coordinates via any host device, right? I’m using an an xport/gameboy (xilinx spartan ii+arm7) for control/gui.