<< return to Pixycam.com

Unable to connect

So, I bought the Pixy2 to help speed up the development of a project… I got the pixy2 today and immediately plugged it into my Arduino Uno and followed the instructions to make it work… well big surprise it didn’t… so I fiddled around and eventually got it to display the blocks and stamps yay…

So, I then went to my PC downloaded the PixyMon installer… big surprise that doesn’t work correctly either… hacked my way past that issue and got the software installed… plugged in the Pixy2 via USB and… unable to find device… fiddled around awhile and eventually got it to think there was a device but never fully worked… so I have a few questions.

1. How do I actually make this thing work?? based on your instructions, it should be as simple as taking it out of the box and plugging it… it has not been…

2. What’s up with the installer package for PixyMon? you open it, it asks where to install, then sits there and eventually crashes…

3. did I waste my time and money on a dead project?

4. I read in a different thread that you have to train the device before it will work… why isn’t that covered in the setup instructions?

5. I also read in a different thread that there are different firmware for this device, do I need a different firmware? which one is loaded by default?

Hey James,

sorry you’re having trouble! Let’s see if we can get you set up.

1. When you say “never fully worked” can you be more specific? It sounds like you got your computer to see the device - I’m guessing PixyMon can’t detect it though? If you haven’t already, please see our troubleshooting guide here, specifically step 3 - it may be that you’ve got a driver conflict or some such. https://docs.pixycam.com/wiki/doku.php?id=wiki:v2:i_get_the_message_-22no_pixy_devices_have_been_detected-22_in_pixymon#check-to-see-if-the-device-driver-is-loaded-or-if-there-s-a-device-driver-issue

2. Not sure what’s going on, what OS are you using?

3. Nope! We’re definitely alive and well.

4. Not sure which setup instructions you’re following, but we do include instructions on teaching Pixy an object here: https://docs.pixycam.com/wiki/doku.php?id=wiki:v2:teach_pixy_an_object_2

5. There are two versions of firmware: the general version (which comes by default unless you bought the Lego version of Pixy) is designed for use with Arduino or other microcontrollers. The Lego version is for use with Lego Mindstorms.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Jesse