<< return to Pixycam.com

Using Pixy for Color Classification

Hello,

I have a Pixy 2 camera. I read on your website that the way the Pixy 2 camera color connect feature works is that it is able to detect the specific hues of each pixel and use that data to recognize objects.

Right now I am working on a project and would like to possibly use the hue detection feature from the camera. I would like to intercept the hue data and plot it on a chart or at least spit it out in any possible form.

I am using Arduino Mega as my controller but as i read and read, I am getting the impression that the Arduino isn’t able to go that deep into the code. If so, What controller can I use. I have Windows but I may need a video or list of instructions on how to setup the controller.

Do you know if there is any possibility of me doing this with the camera? Maybe point me in the right direction? Thank you very much.

Hi Juan,

we are working on adding this feature (raw RGB value output) to the firmware, but it’s not currently possible and there is no release date. Hopefully by the end of this year!

Hope this helps,
Jesse

I have built pixymon in Qtcreator and I am looking through the code to possibly print the RGB to the app. Are you saying that its impossible to do that? There has to be some way to do that.

Juan

Hi Juan,
I think Jesse means that it’s not supported currently, but it is certainly within the realm of possibility.

Our next release will have a “getRGB” feature where you supply the coordinates and it returns the RGB value at those coordinates in the raw image. Some users have requested such a feature. I’m not sure if this is what you are looking for though.

Edward

Hey Edward,

Yes, that is what I am looking for. I sort of need to implement something like that right now so I wanted to ask for your help. I am looking through the source codes using Qt Creator hoping to spit out the raw RGB values or something like how you described. Do you know what methods I should be using or anything that can point me in the right direction?

Hi Juan,
Can you quickly describe your application? We use this information to figure out what features to support and how the features are implemented.

Take a look at renderBA81 in renderer.cpp. This method converts the raw Bayer frame to an RGB frame (QImage) and sends it off to be rendered.

Hope this helps!

Edward