<< return to Pixycam.com

Using Pixy to detect group of Small faraway Objects

I have a few questions about increasing the resolution of the Pixy’s detection as well. Here’s my problem, I’m working on a project that needs to be a be able to see multiple colored disk that are one foot in diameter from a distance of 20 meters ( mixing units, yay). So far the Pixy can see the objects at 10 meters but they begin to get lost soon after that. This occurs because the object, when represented by the Pixy’s camera, becomes smaller than the size of a signatures smallest block detection size, right? And this is limited by the Pixy’s resolution?

I read in one of the other posts that the resolution of the camera can be changed but the frame rate would necessarily drop to ~24hz. For this project that would be okay.

So, my questions then are:

1.) Will increasing the resolution of the camera allow me to decrease the pixel detection size and let me see my objects from further away?
1.1) If so, how would I change the camera’s resolution to a higher setting and
1.2) How would I reduce the signature block size to match that resolution.
1.1.1) If processing power becomes an issue, how would I go about building a Pixy that has a higher resolution, smaller signature block size, along with a more powerful processor that can deal with these changes?

2.) Will replacing the Pixy’s current lens with one that is more magnified be enough? The only problem with doing this for is that if I only zoom, by replacing the cameral, the other objects in the “group” of objects I am trying to detect will be pushed out of the Pixy’s field of view. Question 1 is the one I really want answered, but if there is no other way, I’ll try this.

Thank you very much!

Hello Alberto,
There is no easy way to increase the resolution, unfortunately. Replacing the lens with a longer focal length lens will definitely help, but have you tried reducing the minimum block size?

http://cmucam.org/projects/cmucam5/wiki/Blocks_Pane

This will allow Pixy to report smaller blocks.

Edward